Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Javi's AP Studio

Year reflection- This year has been amazing, filled with positive memories. In the beginning of the year I made many friends that support each other as they struggle through projects. But for most of the year I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do. Should I stay in Drawing or should I switch to 2D where I can potentially get a better score for my AP portfolio.

My concentration is based on life struggles of today’s youth. Life can seem like purgatory. Death can seem like a sanctuary. I’ve showcased the torment of a young girl going through life’s struggles with mental illness. My sister has been diagnosed with Depression, Social Anxiety, PTSD, Bipolar Disorder, and symptoms of Schizophrenia. My art creates awareness of my sister's struggles and the life threatening effects of these disorders in an effort to save a life as precious as my sister’s.


The mood and tone builds on the subject’s isolation and pain as you view each photo. In #(3 ) through #(6) the vibrant colors represent the areas where the person doesn’t feel comfortable being touched. This is due to all the years of sexual and physical abuse. Picture #(3) shows that even in a safe place people can’t be trusted. The women has a disheveled look with her straps exposed showing she is exhaustedly distraught from being abused for all those years. The Black and White in #(4 ) represents death or lack of inspiration. Death and despair surround the subject, representing the only way out of her misery. All the photos in my concentration are a visual documentation of my sister’s dark moments of her life. That is why I have her in  #(7) through #(12). The words written on her body are the thoughts and emotions that consume her life. #(8) show her coping with these emotions by playing the keyboard. Overall this is the struggle of my young sister who has been on the edge for most of her life. Life is a beautiful thing, but others think otherwise. This also can be a representation of all the young teenagers who are going through similar struggles with mental illness. By bringing awareness to these subjects I can potentially save lives as they realized they’re not the only ones with these issues.


No comments:

Post a Comment