Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Savannah L's AP Art Studio









I have always had an obsession with putting my thoughts down into an art journal. My concentration focuses on my journey through journal pages I have made throughout the year. It is a reflection of my year as a whole through my personal journal and photography. I started with the idea of a blossoming young love and continued through the representation of that relationship. Which then leads through the ups and downs every person feels when they are experiencing that tremendous first love.

My idea in my pictures was to showcase and emphasize the feeling from the journal page. When you look at the photo and the journal separately, there is no real uniformity, it doesn’t make sense. Layer them together and you can honestly see what the intent is. It’s not a picture you’re looking at, it’s a feeling. My intent is for the viewer to feel what I felt or sympathize with my emotions. Image twelve displays this, the girl, isolated and lonely underneath a journal page about sadness and how serene it is. Each page I have made reflected all of the emotional challenges I have faced through the year. Such as image six, the theme of freedom and flying away shows just how I felt stuck and wanted to be free. Followed by image seven which has that air of acceptance and knowing that while you may not be the happiest you’ve ever been right now, you know you are free. My emotional rollercoaster through the year in a few photos doesn’t completely show everything I went through, but reflects it best.


2 comments:

  1. So glad I was able to see these in person, the actual work is a greater statement!
    I love the layering!
    Nice work,
    Mrs. Loizzo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Savannah: Before reading, I looked at your photos and studied them. I was drawn to the top two photos. The first photo of the culvert is interesting because it took something rather unnatural and made it feel natural. I think it is probably due to the human presence and water. I do quite a bit of geocaching as well and so could not stop thinking about wanting to hide a magnetic cache inside the culvert.

    Also, the architecture photo captured my attention. I like the idea of what happens to the things we create long after we are gone, or in other words, I like to think about what happens to the world we build when nature holds sway. The visual of decaying structures (death) growing with vegetation (life) does fascinate my mind. It causes me to ponder the people who once stood in those windows and wondered their thoughts. It causes me to think of their lives along with their hopes and dreams.

    After reading how you attempted to recreate your written journal through image, I was curious to see "feeling." This caused me to look at the images from an entirely different perspective. Seeing things from multiple perspectives is something I strive to teach and is very difficult to achieve; however, you achieved this quite effectively. I suppose this is one of the beauties of art. Good stuff. -Mr. Ruesch

    ReplyDelete