Thursday, May 15, 2014

Chris M. AP Art

My year was good. I had a good time.

Concentration:

I’ve always been interested in the change and evolution of people. Not just physical transformations but mental as well. My concentration explores these ideas through self-portraits. It began as a study of physical change and styles over time. After a while my self-portraits began mimicking my feelings while creating them.

My concentration became a personal experience as I created these self-portraits. Through each drawing, the viewer can see my evolution as an artist and as a person. As I started my concentration, I was just setting out to show my physical changes. But as I continued drawing myself over and over again, a lot of my insecurities and thoughts about myself started showing in my drawings. Soon my drawings started looking more and more unlike me. The process of drawing myself started to become a very personal experience for me, sometimes showing things about myself that I had never really thought about before. Constantly drawing myself became therapeutic in a way. It made me come to some realizations and I became more comfortable with myself.





3 comments:

  1. Each portrait depicts a different mood/personality! I like them all but I'm gravitating toward the portrait that has the puffy eye and bloody lip, this makes me question my own self and why I would be drawn to this work?? I guess the fact that the blood is still in pencil makes it more tolerable........Im a wimp!
    Great Job!
    Mrs. Loizzo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris: This is awesome. I fully enjoyed reading the description as much as seeing the images. Your process and experience is well described and interesting. After reading about and viewing examples of your work, the cathartic experience you had is awesome to think about. As you described the recognition of admitting your insecurities and becoming more comfortable with yourself, through your art, I could not help but feel proud for/of you (despite having never met you). Self-reflection is an incredibly beautiful thing, much like art. Good stuff.
    -Mr. Ruesch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, great job. I really enjoyed looking at all of your portraits and wondered what you might have learned about yourself through each one. I really like the one with the splashes of color. I guess maybe I hoped you would have reflected on the class in more than just two sentences, but I can't say I was surprised!
    Nice work.
    -Frau Combs

    ReplyDelete