Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Emily M. AP Studio Art





My senior year has been quite hectic. College apps, AP exams and activities have made this year especially important for my future. The one thing I ever turned to for relaxation was my art class. Whether it be sketching or painting, creating art gave me the opportunity to get away from the world and focus on what I was creating.
This year I wanted to create a diverse portfolio and expand my repertoire of mediums. so, I used everything from graphite to watercolor, and drew anything from coins to portraits.



My concentration focuses on women from different places around the world facing adversity. It is dedicated to their strength and courage to face those adversities every day. The project gave me the opportunity to express my love for world cultures, and also sends an important message about the strength of women in overcoming their challenges in life. I, too, have faced challenges. I used that inner strength to overcome my challenges, and changed my life completely for the better.
My works depict women from various places around the world. The backgrounds are comprised of patterns and colors associated with their particular cultures. On each card I focused on representing the person’s personality and culture. The size is intended to be small, as I wanted the viewer to be able to hold it in their hands, to make it almost personal. Additionally, I envisioned the size to be symbolic, like a tarot card, intended to reveal something to the viewer about herself. By seeing the card, she will see one word: “courageous”, written in each individual language. I chose this particular word because all women, no matter where they live, share a common thread of inner courage. Whatever path in life a woman takes, she will need that courage. Around the world women are treated as inferior, and are burdened with countless expectations. I want to show that Women can do anything they set their mind to if they have courage. In the process of creating these pieces, I followed my own personal journey to overcome obstacles in my life, which made this intended message all the more personally fulfilling.

6 comments:

  1. I love the focus on women, what a great idea............my favorite work is the butterfly hair woman!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Mrs. Loizzo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that is also one of my favorites.

      Delete
  2. Emily: I really like the first image. I can relate to those feelings and thoughts in so many different ways. I also must echo Mrs. Loizzo's appreciation of the butterflies. To me, I see the image as showing all of the different and beautiful ideas each of us contemplates from time to time but may never act upon. Or, maybe it represents our good intentions and thoughts. I am curious to know your meaning, especially as there appears to be a relationship between the hair and the butterflies. Good stuff.
    -Mr. Ruesch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are right, the butterfly self-portrait was intended to signify a release of those negative thoughts and worries that I experience (as shown on the top picture), and the butterflies with their beautiful colors represent the beauty of life (or positive aspects) that I should spend my energy appreciating instead.

      Delete
  3. I am so impressed with your talent! I'm sure you worked hard to develop it, and this is a great display of your skills! I really like the theme you chose, too. My favorite is the one with the inner self-doubts, but I like how you made it multicultural, too.

    Sr. McKellar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment!

      Delete